You might need the services of a personal injury lawyer if someone has caused you bodily injury or you have been taken to court for causing the said injury to someone else. Either way, it is incredibly important that you choose a lawyer you feel comfortable with and who is also affordable. One thing you need to remember is that lawsuits have to be filed within a certain period of time. Failure to do this, you may not be able to do so because of the statute of limitations. This statute limits the time you are supposed to file a case between a range of 1 to 6 years. So if you were asking yourself how to choose a personal injury attorney, this is how you do it. The instructions below will help you in choosing a personal injury lawyer in Ohio.
The best way to find the best lawyer is to research candidates. You need to:
1. Understand why you need the attorney
Do not choose just any top Ohio attorney. Make sure that you go for a personal injury attorney. This is because this type of lawyer has the experience and expertise in this specific area of law. You want a lawyer with expertise in personal injury law if it is alleged that you injured someone, or if you have incurred injuries due to someone else’s negligence. These types of attorneys always have:
– Trial experience,
– Experience negotiating in such cases,
– A deep understanding on negligence law and other torts, and
– A deep understanding of medical diagnoses and processes associated with personal injuries.
2. List all the things that go in to choosing a good attorney
You have to understand what makes a good lawyer before beginning your search for a personal injury attorney. Below are some of the things you should include in this list before beginning your search:
– Find a lawyer who is licensed and has vast experience practicing this tort in Ohio if you were injured here.
– Look at their specialization. Just like physicians, attorneys too have a specific area of law that they have specialized in. For instance, if your injury was as a result of a defective product, look for a lawyer who specializes in negligence cases involving products that are defective.
– Reputation is something you cannot ignore. Choose an attorney with a positive reputation in Ohio.
– Experience is another factor you should consider. Look for a lawyer with years of experience dealing with cases that are similar to yours.
– Also, choose a lawyer who has a clean record. Make sure that he or she has not had any complaint filed against him and he or she is not suspended or disbarred as a result of it just to be safe. You can visit the Ohio state bar website to find such information.
– Experience in terms of the number of years an attorney has practiced is not enough. Also, make sure that he or she has trial experience. This is because most cases are settled out of court, and you want a lawyer who is not afraid of a trial just in case yours goes to trial.
– The attorney should also be a winner. This means that he or she should have won a higher number of cases compared to those lost. In most cases, lawyers who lose a lot of their cases do so because they failed to do something the right way. So, do not be a victim.
3. Ask for personal referrals
After making your checklist, ask friends, family, workmates, and neighbors if they know any good personal injury lawyer in the state. These are the people you trust the most and chances are that they will refer you to an attorney who represented them well.