Law Blog


The Options for the Public Liability Issues on Injuries

, / 199 0

Those who suffer damage have not always caused that damage themselves. In many cases, someone other than can be held liable for that damage. According to our law, this can be done in two ways: by contractual liability or by civil liability.

A (statutory) liability insurance compensates damage to someone else or someone else’s things that you have caused. If you are legally liable for this damage, the damage is usually covered by the (legal) liability insurance. You can click here Target for the best information of the same.

Do my children have to take out their own (legal) liability insurance?

You can take out (legal) liability insurance on the basis of family coverage. Children who are temporarily not living with you because of an internship or study are also insured. This is often up to a certain age. You can find this in the policy conditions of the insurer.

Does my employer have to take out (legal) liability insurance?

A (statutory) liability insurance is also not mandatory for companies. You can imagine that the need for a company is much greater for this insurance than for you as a private individual. Your own liability insurance does not cover any damage you cause as an employee (ie as an employee). Your employer is liable for this damage.

  • If you do voluntary work (and are therefore not employed and receive no wages) and damage occurs, this is covered by your own liability insurance. It is often also covered if you receive a small (expense) reimbursement. This can be found in the policy conditions.
  • If you are unable to find an answer online, you may of course also contact us by telephone. Together we can look at the possibilities and inform you further.
  • Contractual liability applies when an agreement has been made and one of the parties does not do what he has agreed. If the other person suffers damage as a result, the person who has not fulfilled his agreements is liable for this.

Legal liability exists if the law states that you are liable. This can be because the damage was actually caused by your fault (debt liability) or because you are responsible for the damage. The latter applies, for example, to damage caused by your children or your pets. We call this risk liability. You do not have a direct debt to the damage yourself, but you have to pay it.


Logically, those lawyers accustomed to acting in the administrative and contentious-administrative spheres will have no problem properly articulating a claim for compensation of this type. Therefore, on this occasion, it is my wish that this post serve as a small guide for colleagues who only occasionally have to face this type of professional commissions and, of course, also for individuals themselves who have suffered some type of damage in their person, property or rights as a consequence of the operation (normal or abnormal) of a public service.